Cancer Support Community Los Angeles – Associate Board Overview
The mission of Cancer Support Community Los Angeles (CSCLA) is to ensure all people impacted by cancer are empowered by knowledge, strengthened by action, and sustained by the community. Our vision is to ensure that no one faces cancer alone.
The Associate Board is open to adults that are passionate about our mission to ensure that all people impacted by cancer are empowered by knowledge, strengthened by action, and sustained by community. The AB’s efforts help us fund much-needed support groups, educational workshops, and healthy lifestyle classes offered free of charge to anyone who needs them. Members should have a keen interest in community service, including willingness to conduct outreach and fundraising on behalf of CSCLA.
The Associate Board is a group of motivated business, nonprofit, and civic leaders who are passionate about our mission. Associate Board members are expected to attend monthly meetings, help with fundraising events, and serve on committees supporting events and special projects.
Associate Board members will develop leadership skills, network with other professionals, and make a difference in their community. They also have the opportunity to move to the governing Board of Directors after a period of service.
Associate Board members may be:
- Professionals in the Los Angeles and Coachella Valley region
- Participants in CSCLA programming looking to fundraise and support CSCLA’s mission
- Former participants, staff, volunteers, or trainees
- Representatives from corporate and institutional funders of CSCLA
Current CSCLA staff, including trainees, are not eligible to serve on the Associate Board.
TERM OF OFFICE
- Serve an initial term of two successive years, with eligibility to serve two additional two-year terms (capped at a total of six years).
- Associate Board members may be considered for appointment to the Board of Directors after a successful initial term of two years, at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
- Associate Board members are expected to commit 8 – 12 hours per month to their role.
- Members are expected to attend regularly scheduled meetings, to be determined by the Associate Board at the outset of the year.
- Members must serve on at least one Committee:
- Nominations and Outreach
- Over the Edge fundraising event
- Annual dues of $100 to be paid by the end of March (or a payment plan set up, e.g. $10/month recurring donation)
- Members commit to raising a minimum of $1,000 annually, either through securing corporate sponsorship, foundation grant, or via individual donations. The Over the Edge fundraising event is the primary vehicle through which members will fundraise.
ADVOCACY AND ENGAGEMENT
- Steward the organization by passionately conveying CSC’s mission, goals, objectives, and programs to the public for purposes of fund development, outreach, and engagement. This may include volunteering at community events on behalf of CSCLA such as walks, runs, and local fairs.
- Connect CSCLA with others in the community, including colleagues, family, and friends to build CSCLA’s network.
- Recruit and nominate prospective Associate Board members via the Nominations and Outreach Committee.
HOW TO JOIN
If you are interested in learning more about the Associate Board, please fill out this Google Form and a member of our team will be in touch.
Prospective members will be vetted by CSCLA staff and current AB members, and will be required to commit to the requirements before joining the AB.
If you have any questions, please contact Development Director Cristin O’Leary Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org.